Friday, September 16, 2011

My Kenyan Pen Pal


I thought it would be fun to share this photo with you today. Nimrod has been my pen pal for the past 7 years!

I met his dad, Wesley, who was our safari guide in the Masa Mara in Kenya eleven years ago. I gave him Fraser's first adventure; Adventure on Snowmass Mountain. He, in turn, shared it with his children. Several years later, I received a nice letter and photo from his son, Nimrod, requesting that I become his pen pal. He said in the letter that he learned how to ski (in his head) by reading my book, which was such a wonderful thing to hear.

We have written letters back and forth (yes, snail mail) ever since. In 2008, our family went back to Kenya along with my daughter's good friend and her family. It was a total shock and surprise -- when we were in the Masa Mara, Wesley, Nimrod and his sister, Miriam arrived to surprise me. I had tried to contact them before I left with no luck.

It was such a pleasure to sit down with the three of them and talk. I had brought gifts just in case. Nimrod and Miriam told me they had never spoken to "whites" before. We all had such a lovely visit.

Just this summer, I realized that Nimrod now has use of a computer! I miss his handwritten letters, but understand how great it is to receive emails so quickly. He is studying hard and taking classes and hoping to go on to university.

No comments:

Post a Comment